17 March 2012

109. Building Thunderbird 11 on Debian testing

The build is fairly straightforward and pretty much identical to building 10.0.2 (earlybird): http://verahill.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/debian-testing-wheezy-64-building.html

As always, uninstall existing versions before installing a new one.

--start here --
First install the dependencies:
sudo apt-get install libdbus-glib-1-dev gir1.2-notify-0.7 libnotify-dev yasm checkinstall libzip-dev zip 


Download the sources  and untar:
mkdir ~/tmp
cd ~/tmp

wget ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/11.0/source/thunderbird-11.0.source.tar.bz2
tar -xvf thunder-bird-11.0.source.tar.bz2
cd comm-release/

Start the build
./configure --disable-necko-wifi
make -j3

3 is the number of cores +1. If you have a quadcore CPU substitute 3 with 5. The build takes a while so you will probably want to do a parallel build.

Finally, to install
sudo make install



checkinstall is segfaulting for me.

Error:

/home/me/tmp/comm-release/mozilla/js/src/config/nsinstall -R -m 644 ../mozilla-config.h ../../../config/nsStaticComponents.h  ../../../dist/include
make[5]: /home/me/tmp/comm-release/mozilla/js/src/config/nsinstall: Command not found
make[5]: *** [export] Error 127
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/me/tmp/comm-release/mozilla/js/src/config'
make[4]: *** [export] Error 2
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/me/tmp/comm-release/mozilla/js/src'
make[3]: *** [export_tier_js] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/me/tmp/comm-release/mozilla'
make[2]: *** [tier_js] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/me/tmp/comm-release/mozilla'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/me/tmp/comm-release/mozilla'
Solution:
I got this error because I accidentally untared the new sources into an existing directory with an older version of thunderbird. The solution was to delete the directory and untar the sources again.


No comments:

Post a Comment